Veterans Day...

Leave a Comment
 " Freedom has a taste to those that fight and almost die, 
that the protected will never know..." 
  -Unknown Soldier (as told by Sam Johnson, Vietnam POW)


Today we take time to honor those who have served our country. To celebrate their service. But it's not always a happy celebration I know. Bittersweet maybe.
I won't even pretend to know everything about what this day means for those who have served. I know little in comparison to those who have served, of all the pain and loss and sacrifice. I think about the times when I'll be talking to my Grandfather and Vietnam is mentioned. Pain immediately flits across his face and tears brim in his eyes. This doesn't happen every time we speak of Vietnam, but I've come to recognize that sometimes it might just be the day, words or even certain foods that trigger the memories. We don't talk of the war very much.

I DO know that today I woke up feeling protected and safe in my home. Without any fear. I also know this security comes with a cost for all those who fought and continue to fight for our country.

I don't ever want to take that for granted.

We want to say so very sincerely to our family who have served, Granddaddy, Abuelo, Uncle Al, Uncle Joe, Uncle Albert, our cousin Eric (and cousin BJ who continues to serve) and also to our many dear friends, Thank You for your service to the United States of America. And a very Happy Veterans Day to you.

Olivia




0 Encouraging Words:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers