Tell me you love me before you forget...

Leave a Comment


My Grandfather, who will turn 82 this month, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease 3 weeks ago.

Only 3 short weeks. And yet, they have been some of the longest and most difficult our family has faced together.

It is a hard thing to process. To digest. I think we all realize now how difficult it was for us to fully understand what it was like having a loved one with Alzheimer's until we had walked in those shoes.

To watch your father/grandfather become a completely different person than the one you grew up knowing, is, some days, quite honestly, gut-wrenching.

Even though he was officially diagnosed just a short time ago, we had been seeing some irregular behavior and changes in him for quite some time. Since his diagnosis, he has become steadily worse very, very fast.

We have always made a promise to our grandparents that we would care for them and be there for them in their older years no matter what. The thought of being put in a Nursing Home broke them up completely. We assured them this would never happen.

We are now caring for our grandfather 24/7. With him and my grandmother all the time.

We don't know what each day will bring. We sometimes face a thing completely different than the previous morning or afternoon.
We don't always know how to outwardly express our feelings and thoughts about what is happening. Or even adequately write it out for you to understand, like I am trying to do right now. I don't know how to do that.

What we do know though, is that we want to take these precious minutes and hours and days and weeks we have together and hold them close to our hearts. We want to take more pictures and video. We want to send more letters through the mail to him just so we can open them and read them to him. We want to talk to him. Even when it's been a hard night or a difficult day. We want to tell him we love him over and over again. Always.
We want to really laugh, even when there might be lots of tears.

And one thing we DO know and will always know without ANY doubt is that God is in ALL of this. He really is. He is covering us with His love and grace. He is giving us the emotional and physical strength that we desperately need every day.

And He has also given us SO many opportunities to be the Light of JESUS to both our grandparents through this trial. This is a humbling thing, because without this debilitating disease that has slowly taken my Abuelo's memory and changed our lives, I don't believe we would have the same open door to their hearts.

We would really like to ask for your prayers.
That our "everyday's" would be full of Jesus Christ as we take this journey and walk this road.

Olivia

"Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.For thou hast been a shelter for me..." 
{Psalm 61:1-3}

0 Encouraging Words:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers